Tuesday 10 April 2012

The sins of God's people!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~



(
Thomas Vincent, "God's Terrible Voice in the City" 1667. Thomas Vincent, himself a witness of the 'Great Fire of London' in 1666, writes to explain why this severe divine judgment fell upon the godly, as well as on the wicked.)

"The Lord disciplines those He loves, and He punishes everyone He accepts as a son." Hebrews 12:6

If these judgments have fallen upon God's people--we must know that they have their sins, which have deserved them. Possibly some have begun to comply with the wicked in their wicked ways. It may be, that they had . . .
grown more loose in their walking,
and formal in the service of God,
and their hearts more set on the world.

The sins of God's people have more heinous aggravations than the sins of the wicked, being committed against . . .
clearer light,
dearer love,
sweeter mercies, and
stronger obligations;
and therefore provoke God the more to wrath. Hence He threatens His own people, especially, to punish them when they transgress, "You only have I known of all the families of the earth--and therefore I will punish you for your iniquities." Amos 3:2

Besides, God's people have need of awakening judgments . . .
to arouse them,
to humble them for sin, and
to loosen and wean them from the world!
It is in love and faithfulness, that God inflicts such judgments upon them.

"Before I was afflicted I went astray--but now I obey Your Word." Psalm 119:67

"It was good for me to be afflicted--so that I might learn Your decrees." Psalm 119:71

"I know, O Lord, that Your laws are righteous, and in faithfulness You have afflicted me." Psalm 119:75

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment